* Resources for Analysis, Action, Reflection, Alliance*
Understanding Privilege Systems
- White privilege and male privilege: A personal account of coming to see correspondences through work in women’s studies, (an essay frequently referred to as “The Invisible Knapsack”) by Peggy McIntosh.
- The Pathology of Privilege: Racism, White Denial and the Costs of Inequality by Tim Wise
- The Ruling Class and The Buffer Zone by Paul Kivel
- Lived Examples of Privilege: helpful lists
- White Supremacy (Lexicon Series by the Institute for Anarchist Studies)
- White Supremacy Culture by Tema Okun
- Colonialism (Lexicon Series by the Institute for Anarchist Studies)
- Power (Lexicon Series by the Institute for Anarchist Studies)
- Unraveling the Armor of Privilege by Vanissar Tarakali
- Whites Educating Whites
- The Distress of the Privileged
- White Female Privilege – and how to not use sexism to fight racism
- Building Boxes and Policing Boundaries - “Building Boxes and Policing Boundaries: (De)constructing Intersex, Transgender and Bisexuality” by Betsy Lucal, Indiana University South Bend.
- The Genderbread Person
- Gender (Lexicon Series by the Institute for Anarchist Studies)
- The Age of Hipster Sexism
- Transgender Basics: Gender Identity Project
- The GENDER book is a fun, colorful, community-based resource, which illustrates the beautiful diversity of gender – a sort of gender 101 for anyone and everyone.
- Evolutionary Psychology BINGO
- Katie Makkai, “Pretty”
- FemPop: An initiative of the Society for the Psychology of Women – feminist frameworks on popular culture that affect psychological development of girls and women
- We Don’t Need Another Wave: Dispatches from the Next Generation of Feminists edited by Melody Berger.
Body as Battleground
- ‘Gendercide’ and Witch hunts
- Witch hunts and the War on Terror
- Women’s bodies and the Civil Rights Movement
- Laws Targeting Women’s Reproductive Rights
- Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity by Julia Serano.
Tools for Challenging Racism
- A Complete Guide to ‘Hipster Racism’
- The Unequal Opportunity Race
- Catalyzing Liberation Toolkit: Anti-Racist Organizing to Build the 99% Movement
- Pedagogies of strategic empathy: navigating through the emotional complexities of anti-racism in higher education by Michalinos Zemblyas in Teaching in Higher Education. Routledge.
- Racism and Anti-Racism: Why They Matter To SlutWalks
- 5 Tips For White Allies in the Occupy Movement
- How To Tell People They Sound Racist - illdoctrine/Jay Smooth
- TEDx Hampshire College: Jay Smooth – “How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Discussing Race”
- Yo, Is This Racist?
- Colorlines: “5 Ways To Face Race at the Thanksgiving Table – and Not Choke On It”
- “We’re a Culture, Not a Costume”: recent poster campaign by Ohio University student group STARS (Students Teaching About Racism in Society)
- 10 Conversations I’m Sick Of Having With White People
- Barriers to working with other anti-racist white people, by Joanie Mayer.
- Declarations of Whiteness: The Non-Performativity of Anti-Racism by Sara Ahmed, University of Lancaster. Borderlands.
- Unsettling America: Decolonization in Theory & Practice
- Witnessing Whiteness: The Need to Talk About Race and How to Do It by Shelly Tochluk.
- 28 Common Racist Attitudes and Behaviors by Debra Leigh
- Racial Microaggressions in Everyday Life: Implications for Clinical Practice - by Derald Wing Sue, Christina Capodilupo, Gina Torino, Jennifer Bucceri, Aisha Holder, Kevin Nadal and Marta Esquilin. Teachers College, Columbia University. American Psychologist.
- The Microaggressions Project
- On “Sh*t White Girls Say…”: Making Microaggressions Conscious
- Sh*t White Girls Say…to Black Girls
- Sh*t White Girls Say…to Arab Girls
- Sh*t White Girls Say…to Brown (Desi/Indian) Girls
- Stuff Cis People Say To Trans People
- Sh*t Straight Girls Say…to Lesbians
- Things White Activists Say to Activists of Color
- NANAs - On Medicine Women and White Shame-ans: New Age Native Americanism and Commodity Fetishism as Pop Culture Feminism by Laura E. Donaldson.
- Reflections on Whiteness and the Ecospiritual Movment
- “Appreciation or Appropriation?” printable pamphlet by Dixie Pauline and Hillary Lehr
- Native Appropriations
- “my culture is not a trend.”
- Cultural Appropriation flowchart
- Cultural Appropriation BINGO
- Declaration of War Against Exploiters of Lakota Spirituality
- “White Like Me: 10 Codes of Ethics for White People in Hip-Hop” by J-Love
- “An Open Letter to My Local Hipsters”
- “Culture! 99 Cents per Pound!”
- When (Everybody Wants To Be An Indian) poem about Native American identity and stereotypes
Media Literacy and Parody
- Feminist Frequency: Conversations with Pop Culture
- About-face: Don’t fall for the media circus!
- How To Debunk Pseudo-Science Articles About Race In 5 Easy Steps
- Sociological Images: Seeing Is Believing
- Killing Us Softly 3: Advertising’s Image of Women by Jean Kilbourne
- Madonna: Plantation Mistress or Soul Sister by bell hooks, from “Black Looks: Race and Representation”
- White Women’s Workout
Helping/Saving (Industrial and Psychological) Complexes
- The White Savior Industrial Complex by Teju Cole, The Atlantic March 2012
- Nice White Lady: Mad TV parody of white savior teacher trope
- International Aid Worker Meets African Villager
- Do Muslim Women Really Need Saving? Anthropological Reflections on Cultural Relativism and Its Others, by Lila Abu-Lughod. American Anthropologist.
- Radi-Aid: Africa for Norway Charity Single
- Wealth, Power and Class – Part 5: “The Buffer Zone” by Paul Kivel
Current Events Analysis
- The Feminist Wire: Fostering feminist, anti-racist, and anti-imperialist perspectives
- Colorlines: News for Action
- Racialicious: Intersection of race and pop culture
- Feministing: Young Feminists Blogging, Organizing, Kicking Ass
- POPSspot: Power, Oppression, & Privilege in Sport
- Colours of Resistance Archive
- Applied Research Center: Racial Justice Through Media, Research and Activism
- Beyond Whiteness
- TransAwakening: News & Videos about Being Transgender
- Decolonizing Yoga: Where Spirituality Meets Social Justice
- Resource links for “Good White People (TM)” CIIS (California Institute of Integral Studies) A.W.A.R.E. (Awaken to Whiteness and Racism Everywhere) chapter
Anti-Oppression Training, Organizing, and Movement Building
- Beyond Inclusion, Beyond Empowerment: A Developmental Strategy To Liberate Everyone by Leticia Nieto and Margot F. Boyer.
- Transformative Alliances LLC: Anti-Oppression & Inclusiveness Consulting
- Thrive Social Justice Consulting: Cultivating Abundance, Creating Change!
- Fierce Allies: Fostering deep partnerships across divides of power and privilege
- The People’s Institute for Survival and Beyond: Undoing Racism
- Start Dialog: Courses in Cultural Competency
- Paul Kivel: Educator, Activist, Writer
- S.O.N.G. (Southerners on New Ground): Building a political home across race, class, culture, gender & sexuality
- JLove Calderon: Educator, Producer, and Author of “That White Girl”, “Occupying Privilege” and more.
- Groundwork Madison
- AORTA Collective: Anti-Oppression Resource and Training Alliance
- White Privilege Conference
- World Trust: Social Impact through Film and Dialogue
White Anti-Racist Organizations
- Anne Braden Program, Catalyst Project
- WWHAT’S UP: Whites Working and Hoping to Abolish Total Supremacy, Undermining Privilege
- East Bay Saturday Dialogues: Building white anti-racist community
- AWARE-LA: Alliance of White Anti-Racists Everywhere – Los Angeles
- SURJ: Showing Up for Racial Justice (formerly US for All Of Us)
White Female Histories
Caliban and the Witch: Women, the Body, and Primitive Accumulation by Silvia Federici.
The Grammar of Good Intentions: Race & the Antebellum Culture of Benevolence by Susan M. Ryan.
Relations of Rescue: The Search for Female Moral Authority in the American West, 1874-1939 by Peggy Pascoe.
Beyond the Pale: White Women, Racism and History by Vron Ware.
Killers of the Dream and Strange Fruit by Lillian Smith.
The Terror Dream: Fear and Fantasy In Post-9/11 America by Susan Faludi.
Sex, Race and Class–The Perspective of Winning: A Selection of Writings 1952-2011 by Selma James.
The Social Construction of Whiteness: White Women, Race Matters by Ruth Frankenburg.
Memoir of a Race Traitor by Mab Segrest.
Beyond the Whiteness of Whiteness: Memoir of a White Mother of Black Sons by Jane Lazarre.