Join Our Mailing List(s)!
Know about upcoming SF Bay Area WNC workshops, dialogues and updates through our infrequent emails by joining our mailing list! We will send an email or two each month with updates about next events. You can always follow this same link to unsubscribe later.
You may also want to join our (sometimes) higher traffic action list! This list aims to support those in our community who want to engage more actively in the emerging movement and includes more frequent updates and information about actions that WNC organizes and those from other community groups. Feel free to send us info on racial justice related events you are organizing that would be open to and appropriate for our community members.
Dialogues are only open to participants of past workshops and dialogues. Please see here for a fuller description of what our dialogues are, and our new policy. To RSVP for a dialogue, join our email list and reply when the invite is sent out! Location changes each month. If you missed a dialogue, you can check out most of the dialogue notes here.
- January 31: Challenges, Resistances, and Mutual Aid in a Time of Fascism
- February 21: Aftermath of the Women’s March
- March 21: Cross-Class Organizing in the Trump Era
- Jan. 28, 1-5pm: Adding Dimension to Our Identities
- This will be an exploratory workshop looking at ways that western colonialism and white supremacy shaped the false binaries we currently have around gender and other parts of our identity. How have and do systems of violence and power shaped our identities? How do different parts of our identity relate to each other? How can we use this understanding to better understand both the privileged and marginalized aspects of our identity and come into a greater sense of complex wholeness in order to re-humanize our experiences of ourselves and others? Register here!
- Feb. 4 & March 12: Antidotes to White Fragility with SURJ
- Difficult Conversations with SURJ
- Feb 12, 4-7 PM: Anti-Fascist film screening and Valentines-making
- March 12th: Seasonal Ritual
White Awake Group for White Women Starting February 12, 2017Are you looking more than ever for a place to grow and deepen your knowledge, courage and commitment to racial and social justice? Are you wondering how to participate in this critical historical moment?White Awake is a multi-generational 5-month study, skill-building and action group for white women to grow as racial justice activists, a place of encouragement, learning and unlearning. Through discussion, reflection, exercises and action become more effective in standing up to racism and injustice in our families, neighborhoods, workplaces, organizations and institutions. Starting with ourselves, we build understanding beyond the interpersonal to the working of systemic racism, how it developed, how it has been resisted and lessons we can apply.Lois Helmbold, Ph.D, and Rochelle Towers, M.S.W., started White Awake to springboard white women into social activism after the After the Charleston massacre in 2015, many white women needed and wanted more knowledge, analysis, and action.When: On the 2nd & 4th Sundays, 6 – 9 pm, February 12, 2017 through June 25, 2017
- Read approximately 60 pages a month and watch assigned videos
- Complete assignments for reflection or action
- Come prepared and on time to meetings
- Attend all meetings (we recognize there may be exceptions).
- Cost: Sliding scale from $40 – $80 a month.
- Application & information on FaceBook www.facebook.com/Whi